Full Digital Amp News

In 2012 I wrote an article about Full Digital Amps. I just updated it a little.  That's one part of the news.

During those days I was trying and tweaking several of these FDAs. I really liked the technology and the idea behind it. And they sounded extremely clean and dynamic already back then. IMO cleaner and more dynamic then most DAC-amp combos I had listened to. In the article I describe what I didn't like and why I left that idea alone. Just to mention it: It was mainly due to the mediocre digital pre-stages of these amps. These amps also need top notch USB receivers, filters, clocks, DSP/SRC, power supplies, regulation, layouts, isolation etc. During those days that's IMO been a major weak spot. 

I still kept watching for developments. Not much was happening over the years.


It recently changed when SMSL introduced the VMV A2.  

IMO a very interesting product. ASR basically confirms its excellent specs. Many of the recent SMSL DACs received pretty good reviews too. SMSL seems to intend to position themselves further up in the higher quality audio gear market.

...which would explain a rather steep (probably still reasonable price/performance ratio)  price tag of 1k for that amp. I am not saying (at this point) it's not worth it.

I recently got myself two new toys (amp and DAC). If I would have known earlier I for sure would have tried the VMV A2 first. There are IMO quite some arguments for having a closer look at the FDA technology - if that's done right.

If I'd get a chance to at least try this device, I'd go for it without hesitation. You might want to have a closer look at that one too. However. I do predict further developments. Buying one now. Hmmh.
Better not. 

I also learned no long ago that Peter Lyngdorf, beside some other amplifier hot-shots,  is a Co-founder of Purifi (I'm running such an amp for a while). The Purifi amp is considered a top notch device.  I'd sign that. What has this to do with FDAs?
What I find really strange here is that the Purifi amp is just a Class-D amp. (Bruno Putzeys  Hypex inheritance? ;) )
Especially Lyngdorf (TaCT) did build excellent first generation FDAs. Then there's Lars Risbo at the table, who according to the Purifi page, pioneered PCM-PWM conversion technology - marketed later by TI.  Pretty solid FDA competence I'd say. With all that FDA competence at hand I am not sure why Purifi didn't go for a FDA solution. Perhaps they'll do one day. I hope so. 

Competition and community  pressure is the best fuel for evolving technologies. And SMSL hopefully started a new round in the game around that IMO evolutionary technology. If you read the thread over at ASR, people do find a hair in the soup ( is this a gemain term? ;) ) . For the time being I'll keep watching (since I really like what I have in front of me right now). There's no pressure on my side.

Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment