RPi5 based Streaming - My Masterpiece

I'd like to introduce you to the result of my latest audio streaming project. 

Spoiler alert: It's the best RPi based compact streaming solution I've been able to build to date.

What are we actually looking at?



It's my latest Desktop Streamer. I use it for SW development and entertainment while working in my office.
It's been quite a project to get all this done. However. Those of you who managed to build their own devices know how it feels to finish your own project. It's ten times more rewarding to sit in front of your own making, even if all the hassle took several months. 
But, that's what DIY is all about, isn't it. If you - as a result of your own work - are then able to challenge quite some commercial solutions out there - you know it was worth it.

So. What are we actually looking at?

  • Wooden base - my own DIY invention
  • RPi5 4GB RAM 
  • customised GeeekPI passive cooling case (with huge very effective bottom cooling pad)
  • Pimoroni NVME Base
  • Samsung NVME M2 SSD - 256GB
  • InnoMaker DAC Pro (runs on Allo driver now - I made RPi5 support happen over at RPi-github)
  • DSRobot buffer/filter shield - for RPi5
  • Allo Audio Shanti 2x5V PS - powers 1. RPi 5 and 2. Innomaker DAC
  • 6000uF cap buffer and filter for DAC HAT (That's the backpack you see)

It's of course running my own realtime OS and customized versions of Lyrion Music Server (LMS) and squeezelite. I then run symmetric - yep the Innomaker Pro HAT comes with symmetric out - into my Adam A5X speakers. All this together makes an IMO very capable solution.

The soundquality is awesome.  Crystal clear and fast. No veil. Great separation, depth and timbres. The 
low end (limited by the speakers) is crystal clear to. Great stuff. I love it. I do think it's even more resolving than my main system. These Adam X-ART AMT tweeters are pretty resolving animals.

Considering that I paid just 59.99 for the DAC HAT from InnoMaker, which was, at the time of purchase, not even working on the RPi5 - a risk I was willing to take - this solution IMO reflects an IMO awesome value for the money. (All my working hours I got to take out of the equation of course. ;) )

To wrap it up.  I think it's still worth to go DIY.  (1) The fun part of it and  (2) it feels really rewarding if it all works out as you planned and (3) the result turns out to be not just a lame compromise. 

Enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment