introducing sKit 1.4 (beta)

Hi folks.

I worked a little on sKit to make it more convenient and stable.

* most of the tweaks get automatically installed now
   no real need to dig into the Audio Streaming series anymore. 

* sKit-manager remove function - removes everything from now on
   there shouldn't be any sKit trace left anymore once that is done.

What's basically left for to you do is

  1. you install a fresh pCP image,
  2. increase it to at least 200MB, 
  3. configure your audio interface via WEB-UI and
  4. install sKit

 At that point you should have a well tuned system up'n running.

On 1.4 I added some changes to the affinity tweak. I now assign squeezelite to
CPU 1 and 2 without isolating these CPUs anymore.

The documentation also got updated. And of course this or that error got corrected.

sKit 1.4 needs a fresh pCP install as base. Using sKit-manager update won't work. Sorry for that.

sKit 1.4 is still beta. I'll wait for 2 weeks for feedback before officially releasing sKit 1.4. I count on your feedback.


Enjoy.




9 comments:

  1. Tested 1.4 for a week now. No troubles at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is running well, but IMHO the version with isolated CPU for squeezelite sounds better, so i am back to 1.1. Maybe it will be possible to have a choice between isolated and not isolated version ? I am using Pi4 with KTB.
    Thanks for this great tweak.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx for the feedback. In my setup things became unstable under certain conditions. That's why I left the isolation for the main process out.
      sKit settings can be overridden by changing parameters in the pCP WEB-UI.
      There's no need to fall back to older versions.

      Delete
    2. Wouldn't that interfere with "-A" argument?

      Delete
    3. "-A" takes care of the output thread only. You're looking at the rest.
      No interference.
      You can also take out "-A" and configure all the assignments manually through pCP-WEBUI. I am not sure though if Paul has fixed the issues around CPU isolation and task affinities. You need to make sure that this is done. Good luck.

      Delete
  3. I have a rPi 3B± a Pi2aes HAT and use wifi. If i use CPU isolation 3. My rpi gets unstable loses connections with the server. Also the pCP WEB-UI is gone. Sometimes it comes back after some time, but mostly i have to restart.

    Other little thing i have hdmi off but
    sKit-check.sh reports its on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there,
    I see there is a fresh pCP 8.0.0 available. Will the sKit work? I have no idea if anything relevant from the sKit standpoint has changed from 7.0.0 to 8.0.0.

    Sorin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After looking at the changelog of pcp8.0, I concluded sKit should work. Anyhow. I'll run a check soon.

      Delete
    2. I can confirm, uninstalled sKit, performed and in-situ update from 7.0.1 to 8.0.0, reinstalled sKit, all ok.

      Delete